The lovely Lady Lemon tagged me for this meme ( at least I think she is lovely, as I have never seen her), and since I haven’t done one for awhile and also needed some blog fodder that wasn’t all dark and depressing and shit, I thought it would be fun. And it was. So thanks, Lady Lemon, for saving ALL of us from despair for another day!
1. What is your current obsession? Um, checking the blog to see if new comments have been posted. There, I admit it.
2. What is your weirdest obsession? Setting the alarm at night and then checking it six times before going to bed to make sure I set it, that it’s on, and that the music is loud enough to wake me up. Every night, even when I tell myself “Yes, dear, the alarm is set, on, and loud,” I can’t help it; I have to check (and re-check, and re-check). In another couple of years I’ll be all like, “Did I leave the iron on? Better go back and look.” Only I don’t own an iron. A little OCD, anyone?
3. Recall a fond childhood memory? Clearly Lady Lemon hasn’t been reading me long; this one made me laugh out loud. No, really, our family vacation to Kentucky when I was in, I believe, third grade. We all went on this cross-country trip and saw lots of neat places and nobody got hit for the whole long trip. It was lovely.
4. What’s for dinner? Tonight? Beats the shit out of me. Since its my turn to cook, I guess I better think of something. Last night was Steve’s night, and we had ribs and Dutch Oven potatos. Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs is always a safe bet, and won’t that be a lovely follow-up meal?
5. What would you eat for your last meal? That might depend on why it was my last meal. Am I about to be executed for some heinous crime and then be sent straight to hell after I am done twitching? In that case, probably…a bloody rib-eye steak and a touch of lobster and asparagus pasta and an entire loaf of sourdough french bread. I could probably manage a little dessert, too, like…a pan plate full of warm brownies. With chocolate sauce and whipped cream. On the other hand, if I was about to die saving a child from a runaway wildebeest and knew that I would escorted into heaven by flocks throngs a gaggle a bunch of angels, I might have a light Sushi roll and some sticky rice. Because I wouldn’t want to be full when I got there, as I bet the food up there is, well, heavenly.
6. What’s the last thing you bought? Literally? Six toothbrushes, some Hooker Red fingernail polish (for my toenails), some nail polish remover, and a notebook.
7. What are you listening to right now? My arthritic, newly incontinent Yellow Lab pant and wheeze, and the City trucks out trying to finish resurfacing the road (the one they were supposed to have done last week).
8. What do you think of the person who tagged you? I actually haven’t been reading Lady Lemon all that long, but she swears like I do, has a hilarious take on things, and is also a lot deeper than she likes to let one. I think. So I got hooked with a comment she made about what a slutty friend was next going to do with her labia, and, well, I just keep going back.
9.If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished, anywhere in the world, where would it be?An old stone house-large-with a large garden spot and lots of trees and window boxes full of geraniums in France. A little village in France where I could go to the market daily and pick out fresh food and bread to eat that day (and cheese. Don’t forget some nice ripe Brie. I apparently have an obsession with food).
10.If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go? If it’s only an hour (which is, by the way, pretty miserly), I would have to say back to bed. To NOT sleep.
11. Which language do you want to learn? Well, first I would like to master the English language, as I hear people talk and I have no idea what they are saying half the time. And then I would like to become fluent in French. Brush up on the high school classes and become fluent so I can live in that house in the village and actually be able to speak to people.
12. What’s your favorite quote (for now)? “There’s a lot about me don’t know, Mr. Smartyman!” (Anyone know the movie that’s from?)
13.What is your favorite color? Orange. Or red. And I wear both. Not well, perhaps, but…I wear them anyway.
14. What is your favorite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe? She asks this like I have a plethora of items to choose from…probably my old ratty Old Navy Jeans and a red sweater. With my red cowboy boots. That I don’t have anymore because Eli’s fucking dog got hold of them.
15. What is your dream job? Writing things I actually get paid for while sitting at home in my pj’s slugging coffee.
16.What’s your favorite magazine? National Geographic. It is, in fact, the only one I ever get.
17. If you had $100 now, what would you spend it on? The practical side of me says I would use it to catch up on some bills, but assuming this was somehow and EXTRA $100, well, a bunch of new books, easy.
18. Describe your personal style? Um, minimalist? Meaning, you know, I have no style?
19. What are you going to do after this? Go to the post office and stop at the store to get yogurt and string cheese.
20.What are your favorite films? Pay it Forward, 300, Remember the Titans, Better off Dead, The Green Mile.
21. What’s your favorite fruit? Blueberries.
22.What inspires you? Well-written words, watching my kids branch out and try different things, knowing people who have made it through really horrible thigns and still manage to live joyful lives, the sound of the ocean….
23. Your favorite books? Almost anything by Anne LaMott. Here If You Need Me by Kate Braestrup, the entire Anne Of Green Gables series (in fact, if any of you would like to know what to get me for birthday/Christmas/just because I kick ass, this would be an idea. Just sayin’.), almost anything by John Irving but most especially this book (which is how Owen came to be named Owen, BTW). There are probably 100 more I could list, but as a favor to all of you, I won’t. Oh, except the JD Robb series and the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon (she has a new one coming out in September, so about that gift, you can pre-order on Amazon. Again, just sayin.’).
24. Do you collect anything? Snickering at this one…besides dust and books, no. I am terrifyingly unsentimental.
25. Any advice that’s some from bitter experience? Don’t pick up the first drink/cigarette/STD. Once you do, it’s all downhill from there.
26. What makes you follow a blog? A lot of things. Sometimes the ones I read are those who I think would be my friends in real life, people to whom I relate on some level. And that changes as different things in my life change. A really great blog is one that ALSO changes over time. Blogs that make me laugh are high on the list, even better are blogs that make me laugh while also kicking my ass with the real nitty gritty about life. Blogs that take me to a different place, where I can learn about how different yet essentially the same we all really are.
There are rules to this meme, the only one I can remember being to tag four other people. So, I will tag Julie, Michelle, Rachael, and of course April. And if you don’t want to do it, that’s okay; I love you all anyway!